Saturday, January 12, 2008

This pic was taken by Dylan Lossie in 2004 and was posted on the web at http://photos.wildmadagascar.org/%20images/Dylan/Antananarivo_6.shtml

Now you're asking, "Why?" or "Who cares?" Well, I care. This is where my son is going to spend the next 3 months... the capital of Madagascar. Looks a little different than most of our capital cities here in the good ol' Land of the Free and Home of the Expanding Waistline.

The Boy informed me that he gained weight this fall and I told him, "You'll lose it all in Madagascar eating beetles and larvae." Okay, so I had no idea what they eat. Turns out it's rice, fish, etc. I don't know how he'll survive without his daily recommended allowance of pizza and Mountain Dew.

The Boy's uncle has been the Associate Director of the Environment for the Peace Corps in Madagascar for the last ?? years, and now is about to step down, but before he goes, the Boy received a trip for his college graduation to said country to experience, well, new experiences. Many thanks to the unc, dad, and grandparents who funded these new adventures. He WILL be required to work while there; we're not sure yet what he'll be doing... maybe working for a film company?

His language skills will be stretched, that's for sure. He knows English, and has minors in Spanish and Sister-Teasing. And what do they speak in Madagascar? Of course, neither English nor Spanish, although boys there probably would appreciate his expertise in creating new undesirable nicknames for sisters, right Shrek? I mean, Rachael? Anyway, their main languages are Malagasy (I think I got that right) and French. You know, he may think he's ordering up a deep dish pan pizza and a cold soda and get fried beetles and iced larvae. Eh, he'll figure it out. He's a big boy.

Please pray for his safety as he travels the country, pray that he learns the language, and pray that his Christianity doesn't get put on the back burner, but that he'll actually "live" Jesus to the people there.

3 comments:

Karen said...

How cool! And better than Manunka Chunk!

carrie said...

sounds like quite an adventure!

CrossView said...

What an awesome experience for him!

What a nail-biting one for you. =/

I've told my children that they can never leave. Ever.

They think I'm kidding... mwahahaha