Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Kids say the darndest things

Every day at school is a new adventure. The little Kindergarteners are just tooooo cute and of course, you never are sure what'll pop out of their little mouths.

The kids can earn these "school" bucks which they then can use to participate in special class activities, or to "buy" goodies from a teacher's classroom store, if the teacher has one. Our Kindergarten teacher has one such store, containing such treasures as McDonald Happy Meal toys, small stuffed animals, and other little trinkets.

One little African American girl last year bought a pair of adult-sized sunglasses, which she proudly donned. She always wanted to be like Mrs. C., one of our secretaries, so the Kindergarten teacher told the little girl to "go show Mrs. C. your new sunglasses!" That tiny kid flaunted her stuff into the office and Mrs. C. went right along with it, claiming, "Girl! You're all that! Your future's so bright you gotta wear shades!" I chuckled at the comment and as I walked the girl back to class, I told her to tell her teacher (a Caucasian woman) what Mrs. C. had said.

As she walked into class, her teacher asked her, "So did you see Mrs. C.?"
To which the child replied,

"Yeah, and she said my teacher's so white I gotta wear shades."

6 comments:

Karen said...

Very cute. That's a good one.

CrossView said...

As a former public school Pre-K teacher, I could *hear* it like I was there!
Too funny! =D

carrie said...

I love crazy kids who say crazy things. It makes life so much more interesting!

Eleanor Joyce said...

too funny! btw feel free to use the "mail pattern baldness" thing anytime. It's not original to me - I heard it a long time ago and I don't even remember where! But the syndrome is alive and well at our house.
I see you have 4 teens. Quite the ride, isn't it. I have 3 teens and 1 11 year old going on 18.

Jennifer said...

That is hilarious!!! I love the things that come out of kids' mouths!

Thanks for visiting my blog, and for your nice comments! Funny - I just sold 23 cake pans and I have a ton more! I was trying to get rid of some I don't need and then I have to go out a buy a new one - good grief! Because of course she didn't want a cake using any of the pans I already had!

Jennifer said...

Ok, I feel like a total dummy now, as my last comment will make no sense to me! I just read a couple different comments, and got confused. You weren't the one talking about the cake pans! *blushing* I'm sorry if I totally threw you on that. But thanks for visiting my blog anyway! (I'm really not a TOTAL loon!)