Monday, December 17, 2007

What's in a name?

My daughter and I went to get haircuts this weekend. On the counter at the salon was a basket with a note: "Joanne (hairstylist) has a little boy with a unique name and is now due to have her second. If you contribute a name to the basket, you'll receive $1 off your services today."

I teach at an inner city school. Boy, do we have unique names. So I offered a name, a true name, and truly unique, that one of my students claims ownership to:

Supreme Idea.

Those are his first and middle names. I don't know if I received my $1 discount. I guess since someone actually has that name, it's no longer unique. Drats. Then I guess "Devine" wouldn't work either (actual spelling of a 10 year old boy's name). I'm just all run out of uniqueness.

No wait! I've got one! "Spam." I mean, if Noah can name a kid Ham, Spam can't be all that bad. No kid in our school has that one, and I don't know any person that has that on their birth certificate...

unless it was on the nurse's hands after lunch when she handled the document.

2 comments:

lillinda said...

Supreme Idea. That's a great one!
I collect names and I don't think I have ran across a Spam yet either.
I used to know a Mr. Harry Haid when I lived in Texas. That's what got me started. Oh and a doctor named Dr. Mohan Shitoot.For real! Also in Texas!
lillinda

Unknown said...

Man, that kid needs to grow up to be a professional athlete. The sports writers would have a field day with his name.

You have to wonder if some new moms are still feeling the effects of the pain medication when they name their kids.