Monday, December 31, 2007

Middle age and movies

So last night was another sleepless night. Since middle age hit me, I have insomnia about once a week, or I might skip a week and then not sleep for 2 nights (by not sleeping, I mean maybe a total of 3 hours over 2 nights). Since I didn't have to teach today, I gave in, got up, poured myself some oj, grabbed the TV remote and the Sudoku book, and settled into my recliner. What did I happen upon on channel 33? "A Walk to Remember." It's a movie I've never seen, although my step-daughter owns it and has seen it 20+ times. Boy, was I glad my hubs wasn't there as I sat with tears streaming down my face. What a wuss I am.

This has been the movie vacation for me. My eldest stepdaughter, whom I love like she was my own (and wish she was), asks each evening, "So what are we watching tonight?" And then we laugh and cry together and DON'T think the other a wuss for doing so. So far we've watched Walk the Line, Phantom of the Opera (of course with subtitles so we could sing along!! :), Pirates of the Carribean III, Shrek the Third, and Pride and Prejudice. I will miss my dear Babs when she returns to college. I may have to raid her movie stash and watch and cry alone and think of her.

4 comments:

carrie said...

I'm with you. I try to be all tough and cynical and end up crying at wuss movies.

Oh well.

Karen said...

I've never been much of a movie-watcher. My kids and husband have seen everything, and I have no idea what they're talking about. So last week we all watched all three Bourne movies - and I loved them! If you like the first one, you'll love the others - they keep getting better.

Unknown said...

You need to watch "Away From Her." It's about a woman with Alzheimer's.

Have you seen "Transformers" yet? Your hubs might like it. Oh, and what about "Blades of Glory?"

Tell Babs that I'm glad that at least one of my nieces has good taste in movies. :)

CrossView said...

Oh yeah! "A Walk to Remember" IS a tear jerker! We watched "An Affair to Remember" recently and I boo- hooed all over again. I thought I'd keep it under control after having seen it so many times....

Your Babs sounds wonderful!