Friday, December 28, 2007

Honey, I'm home!

In most middle class American families, the husband and wife find a few minutes at the end of a long workday to rehash the critical events of said day. The husband may recount issues at work, the wife may also tell of day at work, whether that workplace be the home or outside the home.
My hubs tells me that my stories are so much more interesting than his. No, really? I mean, he IS an accountant! Surely there are all sorts of cool stories about how accounts didn't balance, or that some report was off by $1,000,000. Surely my stories about the 400+ kids in my school can't compare to THAT!
But I digress. This week, since I've been off (okay, so TC might say I've always been a little off- I could see that one coming), my kid stories have been replaced by dog stories. I mean, we even have 3 kids home from college and we STILL prefer dog conversation to kid conversation. So here's a sample:

Me: Oh honey, you should have seen what Heidi did today! (She's the corgie/shepherd mix at the top of my blog... aka: the Princess).

Him: Hmm?

Me: Well, you know how Jen-i-fur Lowpaws (our other corgi/shepherd/chow mutant dog) takes her sheepie outside? (I must post a picture of Sheepie, otherwise affectionately called That Nasty Sheep)

Him: Yeah.

Me: Well, when Heidi went out, I put her Bear on the ground to see if she would bring it in like Jen does when she takes Sheepie outside. And when Heidi came in, she walked right past it. Before I let her in I said, "Go get your Beary!" And she turned around and went and got her bear and brought it in the house!!!!"

Him: Hmmm.

And it hit me. How sad that that was the highlight of my day. I desperately need a life. Or to go back to my 400+ kids at my school. I miss Supreme Idea.

2 comments:

carrie said...

sometimes it's just easier talking about the animals.

ummmhello said...

Yes, it's a sad state of affairs when all we talk about is our pets. And we DID talk about pets on our Big Date. In fact we talked about adopting another dog :)