Saturday, May 03, 2008

If there were a doggy heaven...


....my dog Jen Jen would NOT be in it right now. But I loved her none-the-less and I miss her dreadfully. My husband says she was our "party gal." She was most certainly the alpha dog and had to be reminded often that WE were her alpha people. After suddenly developing seizures at only 6 years of age, Jen Jen's health deteriorated for 3 weeks, most likely from a brain tumor, until finally last Thursday on April 24th we had her put to sleep. I just HAD to be with her to the end. She was MY baby, my dog, and when we adopted her from PAWS at Petsmart almost 6 years ago, it was love at first sight. Not for my husband. He thought me nuts, but Jen turned out to be quite the life of the party and an excellent watch dog. Of course, she had it all through her gene pool: she was a mix of Corgi, German shepherd, and Chow. Now you understand the alpha dog complex too.
Her nickname was Donkey. Think Shrek. She not only looked like Donkey, she had his attitude and personality. She was something else, and our house is really quiet and boring without her.

Our other two dogs, Maggie Roo and Heidi Bear, seem lost without her. They all used to run to the back of the property with Jen leading them in the great groundhog hunt. Two days after Jen's death, I yelled my usual battle cry, "Go get those groundhogs!!" Well, Tweedledum and Tweedledumber ran out the back door about 30 feet, stopped, and looked around as if to think, "What DID we come out here for?" They never did make it to the groundhog hangout. Two days later my hubs had had enough and HE played alpha dog, running with them to the shed under which the hogs hide. It was quite a sight, one unfortunately that I did not record on film.


Yesterday Maggie followed me back there and started barking down a hole, announcing that she'd like the groundhogs to come out to play. Unfortunately, Jen was always the digger of the holes, making the front doors bigger so that Maggie could go in and visit the hogs if they did not come out. Poor little thing. She stopped barking, looked around to see where Jen was, and realized she'd have to dig by herself. That didn't get very far, and she gave up. Heidi (a.k.a. The Princess) was too concerned with ruining her nails, my husband says, and did not help with the groundhog escapade.


And so, here are the other two "girls." I found them on the dog bed together 3 days after Jen Jen died (Maggie on left, Heidi on right). They often take turns lying on it, but I have NEVER seen them on it at the same time. I guess they miss Jen too.


My Jen is buried under the magnolia tree. When we put her there, there was just one flower left on the tree. I will never forget my Donkey, but I will particularly remember her each April when the magnolia blooms.

5 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Well said - you lost a family member.

Karen said...

How sad! I'm so sorry. I understand how hard it is to lose a dog. I lost my 10 year old Yorkie last fall and still think about him daily.

:)De said...

So sorry for your loss. It is a hard thing to loose a 4-legged baby.
:)De

:)De said...

Just came to wish you the Happiest Mother's Day!
:)De

CrossView said...

I am so sorry! *sniff*