Friday, April 18, 2008

It's not fair, it's not fair, it's not fair!

You know, people that are addicted to cigarettes can get all kinds of help: programs, patches, etc. and hopefully give up cigarettes forever. Addiction handled.

People that are alcoholics can get similar supports and programs and hopefully someday, put away alcohol forever.


People that are addicted to food can get all kinds of weightloss programs and pills and hopefully someday, give up food forever.

Wait.

We can't give up food forever!! Well, someday we will. I don't think there's food in heaven, but if there is, I hope it's Tandycakes, cheesecake, and lobster with clarified butter.

ANYWAY, it's just not fair. With other addictions you can get to the point where that thing is out of your life completely. But with us food addicts, we can't give up food completely. We HAVE to learn to handle the addiction and show some restraint while still imbibing in the addiction. This wouldn't be a problem if everything tasted like cauliflower, or raw clams on the half shell.

If we can trade in cars, why isn't there a place to trade in addictions? I personally would like to be addicted to, say, sit-ups. Or actually cooking for my poor deprived family. Or better yet, praying. Or producing edifying comments all day long.

Alas, it's food. Such a sad, pathetic addiction. I just hope I never have to choose between cheesecake and my Hubs. That WOULD be a tough one.

2 comments:

Indian Lake Papa said...

Food IS A TOUGH ONE! Mama has put on about 3 to 5 pounds since we got married in 1965! I put on about 3 to 5 pounds every year since then - well not quite that bad, but a few more than mama - tain't fair!

CrossView said...

My tough choice would be chocolate versus my husband. I mean, I KNOW I'd pick him but he'd have a very cranky wife... =P