Saturday, November 17, 2007

So I actually went knitting on Monday night. I'm 45 and I was the "youngster" of the group. I soon found out knitting knoweth no age. Vaughn (70-something) refreshed my aging mind on how to do a basic chain stitch, and then reviewed the directions with me on how to knit a dish cloth.
2 rows and 10 minutes later:
Me: Vaughn, something doesn't look right!
Vaughn: Here, you're holding the left hook wrong.

10 rows and 45 minutes later:
Me: Vaughn, something doesn't look right!
Vaughn: Hmmm. I'm not sure what you did (proceeds to rip out a row and re-knit it for me in 10 seconds flat).

15 rows and 1 hour later:
Me: Vaughn, something doesn't look right!
Vaughn: Maybe you dropped a stitch. That hole shouldn't be there (proceeds to rip out 3 rows and re-knit a row in another 10 seconds flat).

0 rows and 1 minute later:
Me: (relieved to be put out of my misery) Oh look! It's 9:00 already and I have a 30 minute drive home! Thank you SO much for all your help!
Vaughn: Yes, we'll have another knitting night soon!!

I can hardly wait....

Through it all I've come to realize why God placed me in the 21st century. If He had placed me back just 2 centuries ago, I'd be scrubbing dried gunk off my pans with my fingernails, and my children would be running around naked. I thank Him for WalMart and the mall. I WILL finish my dishcloth. I will try another. But if I get anymore holes, I'm leavin' them in to have a place to hang the dang thing on the hook to dry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my first lesson! LOL My mil taught me. She has a friend she dubs her "Knitting Doctor" who she calls for each snag she runs into. That poor woman must be badgered constantly by my sweet mil! ;)

I've heard that learning to knit as an adult is MUCH harder than learning as a child. My 9yo just learned a few months ago and she caught on SO fast and has done much better than I have!

Just keep going...when you make a mistake, just plod through it. When you finish it, it'll look hysterical, but it will be DONE and you'll always be able to look on it with a mixture of affection and hate and think, "That was my first knitting creation."

Embroidery is much more fun.:)

Unknown said...

Okay, who do you know who comments on your blog in Italian?!

You didn't get the knitting gene. I didn't either. Everything I've ever tried to knit came out looking like something the cat hacked up.