Sunday, November 30, 2008

A comedy, based on errors and many confused people

The setting: my house, in my favorite La-Z-Girl recliner with my cell phone
The characters: Me, my Auntie M, my daughter Babs, my mom Kate, and my seester who started it all- TC.

Scene 1:
The phone rings. It's 10:00 p.m. and I get a panicked look while my brain races, "Who's calling me so late, oh gosh, it's probably something wrong, I hope it's not Mom or Dad or one of the kids, oh no..."

Enter: my mom
Mom: Hello, Nancy?
Me: Oh, hi Mom. What are you doing calling me so late?
Mom: Well, I just got off the phone with Auntie M. and she said something about your dad being in the hospital!"
Me (VERY confused): Uh, Mom, you live with Dad. Wouldn't you know if he were in the hospital?
Mom: Well, Auntie M. said she talked to you and you told her Dad was in the hospital.
Me (VERY, VERY confused): Why would I do that when he's clearly NOT in the hospital?
Mom: I told her I was the one who had been in the hospital.
Me (panicked): WHAT?? When were YOU in the hospital?
Mom: Oh, last week when I had those chest pains.
Me (relieved): Oh, yeah, well that was just for tests.
Mom: Well, why did you tell her DAD was in the hospital?
Me (back to confused): I DIDN'T!
Mom: I don't know. I thought she said you told her.
Me (anxious to get my sanity back): I'm calling Auntie M. right now and figure this thing out.

Scene 2: Me still in La-Z-Girl with cell phone, now down to 2 bars.
Enter: Auntie M.

Me: Hello, Auntie M.
Auntie M: Oh, hi! What are you doing calling me so late? And how's your father?
Me: Well, I just got off the phone with Mom. It was a very confusing conversation, but basically she said that I told you that Dad was in the hospital!
Auntie M: No! You see, I went to church with Babs today, and she told me that your dad was in the hospital.
Me (here comes the confusion once again. By now we're old pals): Why would Babs tell you that? He's not in the hospital!

Enter: TC (so to speak. Actually, TC's NAME and BLAME enters here)

Auntie M: Babs said she was reading TC's blog and it said your dad was in the hospital.
Me (glad that I had read TC's blog just that day or else my head would have exploded at this point): Oh, THAT! No, no, no. She was writing about something that happened months ago.
Auntie M (NOT relieved): Why did Babs tell me that she had just read about it that day?
Me (clearly putting the blame on TC): TC actually WROTE about the incident just recently, but the REAL incident happened a long time ago. But she didn't put the date or anything on her blog, so it seems like it just happened.
Auntie M (STILL not relieved): Why didn't anyone tell me back then??
Me: Well, it turned out to be nothing. If it had been a real emergency, you would have been notified.... oh gosh, I'm sounding like the Federal Broadcasting Emergency System. Listen, I have to call Babs. Later!

Scene 3: STILL on La-Z-Girl with cell phone, now down to 1 bar.

Me: Babs? It's me, Mum.
Babs: Hi Mumzy! How are you?
Me: Auntie M. and I were just talking and she said that you told her that Gramps was in the hospital.
Babs: Yeah, I read it in Aunt TC's blog today.
Me: Weren't you worried?
Babs: No, I told Auntie M. that no one had called me so it must not have a been a big deal.
Me: Well, no one called you because he's NOT in the hospital.
Babs (now it's HER turn to join Confusion's circle of friends): Why would Aunt TC write that then?
Me: Because Gramps was in the hospital back in June.
Babs: But she just wrote about it this week!
Me: I KNOW! But she didn't state WHEN the actual event happened, and I'm telling you it happened months ago! He's NOT in the hospital. And Auntie M. panicked and called Grammie who was all confused who called me who was all confused who called Auntie M. to straighten it out and now I'm calling YOU to straighten it out. Oops! There goes my battery warning. It's almost dead.
Whew.
It's midnight.
I'm going to bed.
And from now on I 'm turning off my cell phone at 9:00 p.m.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oops.

I mean, WAIT! It's not my fault!

Good grief, if people are getting the family news from MY blog, the Department of Social Services will soon be committing you, me, and the parents to a nut house.

40winkzzz said...

OK, I sorta remember that post, so I had to go back to TC's blog to see when she wrote it. And, um, apparently she's not the only one guilty of writing something up a while after it happened, because accordingly to my careful mathematical calculations, this "comedy of errors" that *you* are talking about would have happened 2 weeks ago. :-)

Which sort of encourages me to dig out some of my old unfinished posts and finish and post them and not worry about the fact that the incidents therein happened weeks or months ago.

(Except maybe the one called "Amish Tubing", because it's about tubing down a river, and I live in MI where we currently have 5" of snow on the ground. I think that would confuse people just a bit.)

CrossView said...

ROFL! That's too funny! Reminds me of "Who's on first?"!!

But glad your dad is fine??!!

lillinda said...

Good Grief !
Ths sounds like my family down here in Georgia ! Are you sure we're not related somehow?
Maybe it's good we're not. Can you imagine?
No no, on second thought, don't go there !

Patti said...

i am here from barry summie. and i am with you on turning that phone off at 9pm. yikes.